Sunday, May 9, 2010

Sleep

This will be my second post about Eric Whitacre and I think he deserves 20 more. Recently in choir we have been sing one of his songs called Sleep. This is a very beautiful piece that almost didn't get to exist and still doesn't exist in its true form.



This is the version of the song right now. The lyrics were written by a great poet who has written other songs for Eric Whitacre.It is beautiful and had I not heard someone tell me this story about the song I never would have known that it wasn't originally written that way.




This is the original song. Whitacre used Robert Frost's Stopping by Woods but there was a big problem. he never got the permission to use it. His case was end by saying that this version can never exist until 2037. So he had another poet write the same word stress and syllables into a new poem so that he could still use his music before that point. So this fits perfectly with my music sampling idea. I think that he should be able to use a classic dead poets works because they should be in the public domain but appearently not everyone agrees. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment