Sunday, February 7, 2010

Girls to Sing About

I am going to audition for Sweeney Todd and I was studying the music to figure out what I think the audition piece will be. I thought about what they would want for a guy and I think I found it. Johanna is the best guys solo in the show, in my opinion. It shows off the high rang that most of the guys would need and it would be a great test of the emotion the actor can use.



But looking at that song made me wonder, Why do guys seem to sing about there dream girls? If you look at other musicals, it is easy to find song titled Maria in West Side Story. That is, as you might have guessed, a song about Toni's love interest, Maria. The song has the name Maria in it thirteen times and it only has about forty words total! That guy was dedicated to the girl he just met.



And it isn't just musicals. I looked at some of my favorite songs on my iPod and found similar results. I would be surprised if you hadn't heard the song Jesse's Girl. It is the song about this guy who wants his friends girl friend. That has to be great for there friendship. But it is about a girl he dreams of so it belongs here.



This isn't only an old idea. No, no. Just a few years ago, the Plain White Tees brought out a song called Hey There Delilah. It's about this guy who is far from his girl and is missing her so he tries to tell her that everything will be alright someday. The title is enough to qualify this song for this post but, if not, the story does.



So why do guys have to make songs about there girls or crushes? I think that is up to you to decide but the obvious fact is they do in all areas of music and every decade. So who will the girls to sing about be in this new decade?

No comments:

Post a Comment